Thursday, February 18, 2010

Concentration pieces 2 and 3

The main theme of my concentration is death. I have come up with twelve different ways to die. I will portray these types of death in my work. I have ideas in my head that I want others to see through my work. I do not like death, but don't want people to be scared of it. If I paint things that people made be scared of at first glance, later on they may not be as scared because they have become use to seeing them. I also find it interesting to see different peoples reactions to scarey images made by a teenage girl.

For example the two works here focus on death in the following ways: Temptation and starvation.

Using strong line and value I drew skulls. Instead of using just one skull I chose to use several to focus on how death effects us all. Starvation is one way to die. Animals frequently die of starvation with their bodies left to rot and give back to the earth. I drew these skulls in the art room from observation. The lights created shadows that further exploited the concept of death.

Temptation, the image to the left is an example of another way to die. Falling into temptation, any kind of temptation, can lead to many negative effects. These pieces is drawn with colored pencil. I enhanced the lights and dark's which made it look more stylized so that the viewer could focus on the important aspects of the piece. I found this image in a magazine but it was very different. She was breastfeeding a child, while measuring gold. I was able to take her facial expressions and make it a completely different story. Shape played an important role in creating this composition.

3 comments:

  1. Abby - Both of these images are well developed. The first image of the skulls uses expressive mark making and value to clearly express your message. The line quality feels fresh and honest. I believe your best work comes when you don't think to much and just trust your abilities. I was really excited to read about the process of the second image. You gave us just enough information in the composition to be engaged but she remains mysterious. The extreme of shape and value in this image helps the composition.

    My only concern with your work is how it will work together as a whole body of work. Try to apply your learning and process to each subsequent piece in your concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby - I love the contrast and value in both of these pictures :) especially the second one. i feel like the shadows along with the line quality create a rough and mysterious feel. The composition of both pieces also make me want to see more, i love how the story continues off the page. I am super excited to see what else you come up with .

    ReplyDelete
  3. that first one is straight fire. really dope. just lovin it. the only thing i would say is to try and push some of the textures of the skulls more. some of those lines left around the border are really cool, maybe throw some drafty kind of lines into the actual drawing.

    maybe try and smooth out some of the line quality in the girls face. i really like the amount of colors in the face though

    ReplyDelete